Saturday, September 22, 2012

My new favorite ingredient...pumpkin!

Happy Fall everyone! What an appropriate subject to be posting about today...pumpkin! Pumpkin is incredibly rich in vital anti-oxidants and vitamins. Luckily, it is very low in calories and a good source of vitamin A, flavonoid poly-phenolic antioxidants like leutin, xanthins and carotenes. I have been making a lot of pumpkin mash (warm up 1/2 cup organic pumpkin, 1/2 tbsp coconut oil, then sprinkle with coconut and almond slivers). This is a delicious and healthy side dish or main meal. This morning I had left-over coffee smoothie and wanted to use it post-workout. I combined that with 1/3 cup pumpkin, 1 scoop vanilla protein powder, cinnamon to taste, and 1/2 + 1 tbsp vanilla soy milk.  I blended it with some ice cubes and had a protein-packed snack! I didn't get to take a picture because I gobbled it up before I thought of it! Can't wait to make it again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment