Thursday, May 7, 2015

Fitness Tip Friday #1


Welcome to Fitness Tip Friday! This is the first tip and I'm glad you joined me! I'm sure you're wondering "who is this girl and why does what she says matter?" While I may not have schooling on eating clean and fitness, I have real life experience in both and we all know that the latter is usually more helpful. I have been a clean eater for 5 years now along with an avid exerciser. I've done everything from crossfit to just using the treadmill and I am here to share my experiences with you. I am now a Beachbody coach because my goal is to inform people about the benefits of proper nutrition and fitness, so you too can live a healthy lifestyle.

Annnyway, on to the fitness tip. This week's tip is brought to you by the letter S....for stretching! It is so important to stretch before and after you workout to elongate those muscles you just worked and prevent DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness). Did you know that your warm up stretches should differ from your cool down stretches? Too many times, athletes and coaches use cool down stretches to get warmed up (think soccer practice). Before a workout, you should complete lateral stretches and dynamic warm ups, while after a workout you should perform static stretches.



Lateral stretches and dynamic warm ups include things like jogging in place, jumping jacks, side bends, cross body toe touches, runner's lunge, windmills, and many others, depending on your body and how it feels.

Static stretches are usually held longer to really stretch the muscle. They include gluteal holds, adductor holds (butterfly), half cobra, child's pose, hamstring stretch, and pretty much anything else that really targets the particular area you worked that day.

Proper warm up and stretching allows you to get closer to your full potential and thus, closer to your goal. So go out and there and get your stretching on! Check back next week for another tip!

What type of stretching do you enjoy the most?

No comments:

Post a Comment